Not your regular Norwegians
THEY ARE ROWEGIANS
First Norwegian Women to Row Across the Atlantic!
MEET THE LADIES
It was love at first sight, Rowegians and Fitsmind that is. The first time I met the girls we clicked immediately and felt like we were a perfect fit for each other. Five girls - didn’t know which one is crazier than the other. The ones rowing across the Atlantic, or the one (me) taking on the challenge to mentally prepare them for this feat. So that’s how it all started- this preparation journey of ours- a coffee date earlier this May, lots of laughs, talking about Matilda the movie, the brain, performance psychology and a brief cooperation plan. I’m excited to share this Fitsmind training journey here with you, talk about some of the material we are covering and the mental training that the girls will go through as they are preparing for this inspiring feat!
For those of you who have never heard of the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge, here are some fun facts:
- It is known to be the world’s toughest row
- The race was founded in 1997 by Sir Chay Blyth with subsequent races occurring roughly every two years since
- It's an ultimate test of participants physical and mental strength, with minimum of two months of rowing! Covering a distance of 3000nm, from Canary Islands to Antigua
- On the Rowegians team- two girls will row, two will rest. 2h on, 2h off. 24h, nonstop. 6000 calorie diet a day. Blisters, slat rashes, sharks, sleep deprivation, hurricanes, 50 foot waves...and much more
- More people have climbed Mount Everest than have rowed the Atlantic
Click below to hear what these brave ladies have to say...
The trip is 99% mental
It goes without saying that a trip like this is physically very demanding. Rowing 12h a day for 60 days straight is no joke. And that's exactly why the girls need to mentally prepare for it. It's their minds that will determine whether or not they will endure these challenges and cross the Atlantic.
So how are Rowegians getting mentally fitter?
Here's a little sneak peak...